Can I work as a nutritionist in my country after taking the "Vegan Nutritionist Course"?

Our distance learning course is state-approved by the State Central Office for Distance Learning (ZFU) in Germany. The profession of a (Vegan) Nutritionist is a free health profession in many countries. This means that the training is not regulated by public law and the job titles are not protected.

Therefore, anyone can attend our course. Whether you are allowed to work as a Vegan Nutritionist depends on the public law regulations of your country.

You can find an overview of the public law regulations of several European and other international countries here.

European countries


The title "Vegan Nutritionist" is not legally protected in Switzerland and may therefore be used. As a "Vegan Nutritionist" you are allowed to offer preventive consultations in Switzerland. Nutritional consultations may only be carried out with healthy persons (Swiss Red Cross, 03.01.2017).

United Kingdom (UK)

The title “nutritionist” is not legally protected in the UK. This means that if you are using the title, you are currently not required to hold any specific qualification.

In contrary, the title “dietitian” is protected in the UK and only those holding an approved B.Sc. degree may register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).



The profession of nutritionists is not regulated by the Irish public law, thus, it does not require a specific qualification. This also means that nutritionists are not required to be registered in order to work in Ireland.

However, if you want to work under the title “dietitian” in Ireland, you need to meet certain requirements as this is a legally protected job title.



The typical job requirements for nutritionists in Norway are a medical degree and a completed specialist training. A certification is required.

If you want to work as a “clinical nutritionist” and use the professional title in Norway, you need to meet certain minimum requirements from laws and regulations.



In Sweden, the title “dietitian” is protected, but “nutritionist” is not. Therefore, you need certain requirements (university degree) to work as a dietitian in Sweden, but not if you call yourself “nutritionist”.

Also, the title “dietitian” can only be used in Sweden with the Swedish registered dietitian. However, you can work as a nutritionist without the Swedish RD.



Denmark has a legally protected title for “clinical dietitians”, but not for “public health dietitians” or “nutritionists”. Since these are not regulated professions, you can work under the title “nutritionist” without requiring any regulated qualification.



Whereas “dietitian” is a regulated profession in Finland, the term “nutritionist” is not legally regulated.

The Association of Clinical and Public Health Nutritionists in Finland (RTY) is the educational and professional interest organization for nutritionists in Finland.



A nutritionist who consults healthy individuals in Belgium does not require a legally regulated qualification or certification. However, working as a “dietitian” is regulated by the Belgic law and thus requires a minimum qualification (university degree).



Dietetics and nutrition are considered two distinct disciplines in the Netherlands. Therefore, they usually have different professional roles.

Educational requirements for dietitians are equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree, while nutritionists require at least a Master’s degree. This means that nutritionists are often held in higher professional regard.




The term “nutritionist” is not protected and therefore not legally regulated in France. It is used by those who are trained in the field of nutrition (physicians, engineers, dietitians etc.).

However, the title “dietitian” is protected as it is regulated by public law since 2007. In order to become a dietitian in France, you need to attend a specific training and register yourself afterwards.



The profession of a dietitian-nutritionist is regulated in Spain by the Law of Ordinance of health professionals (44/2003 LOPS), in which there is a reference (article 7.2.g) to the dietitian-nutritionist, its definition and access title for professional practice.

Whether you want to work under the title “dietitian” or “nutritionist” in Spain, you need to meet certain requirements, such as attending a university degree in nutrition. Thus, these titles are legally protected in Spain.



Dietitians and nutritionists are treated equally in Portugal. “Nutritionist” is a regulated profession here. If you want to be registered in the professional association of nutritionists, it is necessary to hold a specific academic degree.



In Italy, only doctors and biologists can give nutritional advice to people with medical conditions (as "dietologists", dietists" and "biologo nutrizionist"). The title "Dietista" is protected by law in Italy, but "Nutritionist" is not. Nutritionists can work with healthy people and advise them on a healthy diet.



Unlike the title “nutritionist”, the profession of “dietitians” is regulated by the Polish law. Thus, if you want to work under the title “dietitian” in Poland, you need to meet specific requirements. This is not the case for the nutritionist profession.



In Greece, Dietitians-Nutritionists must be a graduate of Higher Education (University degree) from certain universities, and you need to register at the National Registry of Administrative Public Services to get an official license.


Other countries


The title “dietitian” is legally protected through provincial legislation across the entire country, just like physician, nurse or pharmacist.

The title “nutritionist” is legally protected only in certain provinces of Canada (in Alberta, Quebec and Nova Scotia), but not in the other provinces. Therefore, you can work as a nutritionist with or without any formal education or training in all provinces of Canada except from the above-mentioned three.



Unlike the title “dietitian”, the nutritionist profession is much less protected by law in the US. However, this depends on the state you want to work in.

Certain states (Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming) do not hold any legal requirements for nutritionists, regardless of national registration, certification, or licensure status. This means, you can perform nutrition counseling by yourself without any legal opposition in those states. Find out more here.


Australia and New Zealand

In Australia and New Zealand, professional nutritional practice is not regulated by the government. Therefore, the title “nutritionist” is not legally protected and does not require a specific qualification.

On the contrary, you can only work as a dietitian in Australia and/or New Zealand if you meet certain requirements. Hence, the title “dietitian” is legally protected in these countries.



The term "nutritionist" is not legally protected in India. Nutritionists can work with healthy people, giving them advice about nutrition, food consumption, making diet plans and advising dietary supplements. To be called a certified nutritionist, you need to have a certification from Clinical Nutrition Certification (CNC) board.

For becoming a dietitian, one needs to have the required academic qualifications (degree) and pass an exam to get registered.


Please note, that we collected the information for this entry carefully and to the best of our knowledge. However, this is not intended to be legal advice and we encourage you to check the legislation in your own country and contact the relevant authority there if you have any questions.

Legal notice

Any statements or information on legal matters contained herein do not constitute legal advice, and any representation or warranty, whether with respect to accuracy, completeness, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise, is hereby expressly disclaimed. You are advised that, if you require advice regarding the meaning of any statement or information, or the applicability or use of any statement or information to or by you, you should consult with your lawyer. You may not rely on any statement or information as legal advice, as a recommendation, or otherwise.


Was this article helpful?
1 out of 1 found this helpful